Neither Poverty Nor Riches

Give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me.

A Personal Recipe Archive

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Moosewood Popovers

Recipe Name: Moosewood Popovers

Notes: This is the popover recipe I've had the best luck with. It's from the Moosewood Cookbook, and you can vary the number of eggs you use.

Servings: 12 muffin tin size popovers, 4-6 popover tin sized popovers

Ingredients:
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons melted butter
  • 2, 3, or 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups milk (lowfat OK) (If using less than 4 eggs, use 1 cup)
  • 1 1/4 cups flour (If using less than 4 eggs, use 1 cup)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush the insides of 12 muffin cups with meltedbutter. [NOTE: I have had varied success with this, and sometimes I've had better luck not doing this]

2. Beat together the eggs and milk in a medium-sized bowl. Add the flour and salt, and beat with a whisk until reasonably well blended. It's fine if the batter has a few lumps.

3. Fill each muffin cup about one-half to two-thirds full. Bake for 25minutes if using 2 eggs, 30 minute if using 3 eggs, and 35 minutes for 4 eggs. Try to refrain from opening the oven during baking.

4. Remove the popovers from the pan immediately, and prick each with a fork to let the steam escape. (This helps them hold their shape.) Serve as soon as possible, either plain or with butter and/or jam.

3 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Hey Robyn,

I made these today for Robin and me using 4 eggs and the maximum milk and flour. I distributed the batter evenly in 12 muffin tin cups, and they turned out beautifully. They popped well and were pretty much perfect. Thanks for posting the recipe, Robyn!

Hannah

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous vicki said...

I made these this evening with two eggs, following the recipe from the book (ie, one and a quarter cups both milk and flour). i actually only came here so i could cut and paste the recipe instead of typing it in for friends.

anyway, i can heartily second hannah's endorsement. these were really yummy! they were even cute in appearance. i used only two eggs and was surprised by the nicely eggy flavour of the popovers.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Moti Nowrangi said...

My popover pans arrived yesterday and I used them to make popover this morning. I followed the Moosewood recepie in its entirety, and did not peak inside the oven for 35 minutes even though I really thought I should just incase they were browning too much and I ought to save them. Much to my surprise they came out perfectly. They rose like little glorious mountain peaks and they tasted absolutely delicious. I did add a pinch of cinnamon. The recepie was exactly for six popover with batter filled 2/3 way up. One hint is to brush your pans with oil and not butter as butter burns quicker. My pans we Chicago Metal non stick but still I gave them a light brush up with oil. They slid right out. Cleaning was a breeze. Don't forget to use a fork to poke them when you get them out of the oven as this releases the hot air and enables them to maintain their glorious shape...if not they will colaspe. I just ate another one with blueberry preserves. I will try one someday with a scoop of ice cream!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home